What is a (d.) (2) or variance for the Expansion of a nonconforming use?
A nonconforming use is one that was a conforming use prior to enactment of a zoning ordinance or prior to a change in an existing zoning ordinance.

Such a situation arises, for instance, where an auto repair business is conforming under an existing zoning ordinance but a subsequent amendment changes the district from general business to residential. A (d.) (2) variance would be required before the owner can construct additional garage space to accommodate more cars. By way of further example, consider a business which is located in a conforming 3-story building but a zoning amendment later limits building height in that zone to 2 stories. In this case, the owner of the building would require a (d.) (2) variance to construct a fourth floor.

Show All Answers

1. If I make a zoning complaint about a particular property or person does my name or written complaint become public record?
2. My neighbor and I are having a dispute regarding the boundary line of our properties. Can the Zoning Office help me?
3. My neighbor's tree hangs over the fence into my rear yard. I am afraid that a tree limb will fall into my yard and cause damage. Can the Zoning Office help me?
4. Can I make an anonymous zoning complaint?
5. What is an Administrative Officer Error Appeal?
6. What is an interpretation of the land use ordinance?
7. What is a special questions application?
8. What is a (c.) (1) or hardship variance?
9. What is a (c.) (2) or substantial benefit variance?
10. What is a (d.) (1) or Use Variance?
11. What is a (d.) (2) or variance for the Expansion of a nonconforming use?
12. What happens to a variance if I sell my home or business?
13. Does the Zoning Board of Adjustment or Planning Board have to grant me a variance?
14. I was told that a homeowner on the other side of town received a variance similar to the variance that I am requesting. Shouldn't my variance be granted too?
15. Do I need a lawyer to represent me before the Zoning Board of Adjustment or Planning Board?
16. I was advised by the clerical employee at the Zoning Office that I should request a certain type of variance and that the Board of Adjustment should grant my application. Is that true?
17. The Zoning Officer refuses to give me a zoning permit and says that I will have to obtain a variance. Can the Mayor or committee members order the Zoning Officer to give me a variance?