How to Apply for a Marriage License Application
Appointments are required to apply for a marriage license. We take applications Monday - Thursday between 8:30am and 3:30pm. Call 973-270-2040 to schedule an appointment. You can complete and print out the marriage license application form online (preferred) or you may come into the office to obtain the form.
Do NOT sign the marriage application form before going to the Local Registrar. You must sign the application, while under oath, in the presence of the issuing authority.
Requirements for entering into a Marriage:
For two persons to establish a Marriage in this State, it shall be necessary that they satisfy all of the following criteria:
- Not be a party to another civil union, domestic partnership or marriage in this State or recognized by this State;
- Be at least 18 years of age.
Where to apply:
- The marriage license application is to be made in the New Jersey municipality in which either party resides and the license is valid throughout the State of New Jersey.
- If neither applicant is a New Jersey resident, submit the application in the municipality where the marriage ceremony will be performed, the license is only valid in the issuing municipality.
Please contact the local registrar to determine if license applications are handled during business hours or by appointment. Appointments are required in Lincoln Park.
Required documents when applying for a marriage license:
- Proof of identity by presenting your driver’s license, passport or state/federal I.D.
- Proof of your residency by one applicant if a Lincoln Park resident and it is not on the ID presented.
- Your social security number.*
- A witness, 18 years of age or older.
- The $28 application fee.
*Social security number is required by law for US citizens and will be kept confidential.
Any documents in a foreign language must be accompanied by a certified English translation.
After You Apply
There is a 72-hour waiting period before the license is issued. The waiting period begins when the application is filed with the Local Registrar. There is no 72 hour waiting period for a remarriage; however, you must bring a certified copy of your existing marriage.
The marriage license application is valid for six months from the date accepted. Once issued the license is valid for 30 days .
Only one marriage license may be granted from a marriage application. The license is valid for 30 days once issued. If the license expires before being used, a new application must be made and another $28 fee remitted.
The only exception to this requirement is in the case where a civil and religious ceremony are to be performed on the same day. In this case, the Local Registrar will photocopy the marriage application, marking one “A” and one “B”, and issue the corresponding marriage licenses, marking them “A” and “B” as well. One copy will be used for the religious ceremony and the other for the civil ceremony.
For individuals who are currently in a marriage in New Jersey or are in a marriage in another state or country there exists the option to reaffirm your relationship/vows by registering a Remarriage.
In order to apply for a Remarriage the couple must provide proof of their existing marriage, meet the requirements for entering into a marriage in New Jersey and follow the guidelines above to completing the license application.
The process for a Remarriage License are the same as for the Marriage License, except that the Remarriage License must be accompanied by the proof of existing marriage and once the application is filed there is no 72 hour waiting period before the license is issued.